The Dominican Republic & Danish Water Days 2021
Market visit to the Dominican Republic for the Water and Waste Water sector.
01.12.2021 - 04.12.2021
Postponed from march 2020 to December 2021 due to COVID-19 and local elections in the Dominican Republic
Denmark & The Dominican Republic
3-4 day market visit to The Dominican Republic
Two persons pr. company are included in the package price.
0 / 20
The Dominican Republic & Danish Water Days 2020
Following the inbound water delegation from CAASD (The Santo Domingo Water Authority) in mid-january 2020, the Confederation of Danish industry and Danish Export - Water organizes a market visit to the Dominican Republic.
A 3-4 day return visit to the Dominican Republic is included in the event.The re-visit to the Dominican Republic is in continuation of a thorough study of the commercial opportunities in the water sector, which points to several opportunities in the market - including in the wastewater area where 70% remains untreated. The re-visit will focus on visiting public authorities and supplies to see the level of current waterworks and wastewater treatment plants. It will be followed up by B2B meetings and project presentations as well as a dialogue with Inter-American Development Bank (IDB), IFU and EKF on co-financing opportunities.
Santo Domingo's water authority CAASD has been identified as the most relevant to visit and is of interest because of the expected investment amount. Other municipalities and supplies are also expected to become relevant customers for the Danish companies, provided they comply with the incentives provided by the authorities to encourage investment in water infrastructure.
Several commercial opportunities for Danish companies
The Santo Domingo Water Authority (CAASD) has reached out to Danish Export Association and The Confederation of Danish Industry (DI) in their search for answers to immediate and future problems to secure efficient water supply for their 3.8 million inhabitants of Santo Domingo. The city has been growing rapidly for the past 10-15 years, and the current infrastructure is inadequate to cover current and future needs.
Water issues in The Dominican Republic
In terms of wastewater, investments of $ 156.8 million have been made, but much work remains to be done: 70% of waste water is not treated. Further, as an island state the Dominican Republic is increasingly exposed to extreme weather, from flooding to droughts.
"Over the past 20 years, the Dominican Republic has been one of the fastest growing economies in the region, and today it is the largest economy in the Caribbean and Central America. Between 2014 and 2018 alone, the economy has grown by an average of 7% per year. Sectors such as energy, service industries and industrial production have gained a good grasp on internationalization. The Dominican Republic is interesting to look at right now because the middle class and the cities are growing, and it is helping to increase the pressure on basic infrastructure - including water."
Jakob Anker Tvede, Investment Director, IFU.
CAASD has specifically reached out to find solutions to the following problems:
- Reduction of non-revenue water, which today is estimated to be around 60%.
- Energy efficiency in water treatment: Santo Domingo has an electricity bill of USD 20m per year.
- Measurement of water consumption by the consumer. Explicit desire to run a pilot test
- A macro measurement program that enables the Dominican Republic to accurately measure the amount of drinking water produced in the water network and to measure the distribution of the water in their main macro-level distribution network.
- An operational control center which enables them to monitor relevant online parameters of the water network online in order to make timely decisions to optimize the water network more operationally
Price and Conditions
The Trade Council of Denmark has granted a subsidy for this event and we are able to offer you the following price:
The Dominican Republic: DKK 13,500*
- 3-4 day market visit to The Dominican Republic, 1-4 December 2020 (week 49)
- Two persons pr. company are included in the package price.
- Additional sign up of staff 2000 DKK
* all prices are subject to subsidy the company being eligible for subsidy granted bythe Trade Council – de minimis rules. Prices are in Danish Kroner, ex VAT, subject to min. 7 participants. Flight, hotel expenses, print costs and insurance are not included.
Together with DI, IFU, EKF and The Ambassador of The Dominican Republic to Denmark and the Honorary Consul for Dominican Republic in Denmark we are in close cooperation with CAASD’s executive directors and a number of key stakeholders with whom we collaborate to adapt the event content to your wishes.